Salas O’Brien is an employee-owned facility planning, design, construction management, and commissioning firm with offices across the United States. Our nationwide team includes high-energy, creative professionals who listen to our clients’ unique circumstances and tailor-make our designs to fit each situation.
Our office in Houston, TX is seeking a team-oriented Specifications Writer looking to join our growing team. This critical employee will be responsible writing engineering specifications for a variety of facility and building types including educational, corporate, retail, and medical.
- Assist teams in determining material and contract requirements for engineering projects
- Conduct product research including reviewing product literature, manufacturers’ websites, industry standards, trade association publications, building codes, and sustainability rating systems as necessary to ensure that materials and systems are appropriate for each project
- Ensure that specifications are clear and concise and exhibit correct format, grammar, and spelling
- Maintain a written Project Manual (including specifications), which matches the project requirements
- Organize Project Manual as necessary for distribution
- Interact with consultants to ensure that their specifications are properly coordinated with the Project Manual
- Respond to technical and editorial questions
- Assist team in answering questions and develops addenda during bidding
- Assist project team with construction of the project, including commenting on product submittals and substitutions
- Solve problems with specifications when discovered during construction
- A background in Architectural/Engineering specification writing
- Knowledge of MEP (mechanical, electrical, plumbing) design and construction process
- 3+ years of experience working for an engineering, architecture, or construction company
- Bachelors or Vocational degree in Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Technology preferred
Salary is commensurate with qualifications, ability, and experience.
U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Work Authorization Required.